We are happy to invite 5 young people (between the ages of 18 and 24) from Germany to take part in a blended mobility activity on learning about, for, and through democracy with analog games. The activity which is funded through the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership Youth in Action program, will take place from September 25th to September 30th, 2020, in Almuñecar, Spain.
Democracy places high demands on citizens. Political decisions have an impact on many different areas of life, they often affect future generations or neighboring countries and they are influenced by international and global developments. The importance of youth participation for the future of economic, societal and political development is widely acknowledged. Democracy education enables young people to recognize and represent their interests, to participate in political processes and, in doing so, to meet their fellow human beings and their concerns with respect.
The project “Democracy and Games: Analog and Digital Game-Based-Learning Tools for Youth Work” (DEMOGAMES) will generate educational tools, methods and materials for democracy education in non-formal youth work. It aims to make a substantive contribution to several of the areas of action of the renewed EU Youth Strategy proposed by the European Commission for 2019-2027. The project is based on the didactic approach of game-based learning and applies it to teaching young citizens on democracy.
In this activity, participants will approach the topic of democracy in a participative and engaging manner through analog and digital game-based learning techniques. Several game-based learning tools will be presented with the main purpose to engage, connect and empower young people. On one hand, participants will be able to play test custom-built game prototypes on different topics of democracy, on the other hand, participants will be able to take part in the further development of several thematically anchored board game prototypes themselves.
Objectives of the Activity
- To increase the factual knowledge as well as the comprehension and critical understanding of democratic norms, values and institutions
- To train young people’s skills to behave efficiently within democratic processes (e.g. analytical thinking, co-operation and communication skills)
- To deliberate on the importance of core democratic values of freedom, fairness, equality, and justice
- To enable young people to reflect on their mental orientation towards democracy and the importance of tolerance, responsibility and respect for social inclusion and solidarity among different cultures
The activity will involve participants from different European countries. CGE Erfurt e.V. is recruiting 5 participants currently living in Germany.
To apply to participate in this activity, you should have the following profile:
- Aged between 18 and 24
- Residing in Germany
- Be interested in youth initiatives
- Be interested in non-formal learning about, for, and through democracy in an intercultural setting
- Basic knowledge of English (at least level B1)
Travel and Accommodation
As the project is partially financed by the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership Youth in Action program, subsistence and accommodation will be fully covered by the organizers. Traveling expenses will be reimbursed by the organizers – up to a maximum amount of 275 EURO – upon presentation of the travel documents and boarding pass.
Please send a short CV in English and a motivation letter (max. 1 page) to [firstname.lastname@example.org], with the subject line “DEMOGAMES C1 Participant Application”
The application deadline is July 25th, 2020.